COLUMBUS — Following Ohio State’s 45-12 win over Arkansas State, Buckeyes head coach Ryan Day met with reporters to discuss his team’s victory. Day answered questions about the OSU running game, the large number of penalties, provided some injury updates, and much more. The highlights of everything said can be found below.
- Arkansas State was packing the box one on one outside. The field was available. They were aggressive against OSU stopping the run.
- The sloppy penalties need to be cleaned up. Arkansas State had over 70 plays and OSU barely had 40. Nine penalties is unacceptable. Gotta coach it better.
- The defense was bend but don’t break today. The defense was put in bad spots today but they responded and kept them out of the end zone.
- They want to make sure Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Julian Fleming are 100% before they play them. They would like to get them back next week if possible. Just want to make sure they’re keeping them safe.
- Marvin Harrison is very mature for his age, especially as a route runner. It’s a high level. Harrison had three TDs but nearly had a fourth that he couldn’t finish off. He was strong on the outside.
- Mike Hall “did it again this week. That’s good, that’s progress.” There is no concern coming out of this that his injury was long term.
- When you face this style of defense, there can be some feast or famine. They had the day passing that they expected. There was improvements in some areas but they aren’t where they need to be in some other areas.
- When you don’t execute at a high level on offense it can throw off the execution. They had some three and outs today because of it.
- Good news is they’ve already beaten a top five opponent, but they need to keep building and growing.
- Caden Curry flashed. He plays hard. “I’m glad he’s a Buckeye.”
- TreVeyon Henderson and Miyan Williams were productive but they need to run more than the 54 plays they had. They ran hard again.
- It was good to see Gee Scott get in there for a bunch of plays. The tight ends deserve to be in the game in 12 personnel.
Ohio State Pro Day 2023 Notebook: CJ Stroud, Jaxon Smith-Njigba Solidified As QB1, WR1?
WATCH: Every throw from C.J. Stroud at Ohio State Pro Day
Eyes On The Trail: Big Time Prospects React To Ohio State Visits
Ryan Day Keeping His Mind On The Ohio State Offensive Line
It’s Back To Basics For Jack Sawyer
Tyleik Williams Is Ready To Dominate
Pair Of Ohio State Linemen Lose Black Stripes
A-Deck: Preview For Massive Ohio State Recruiting Weekend (March 24-26)