COLUMBUS — Ohio State head coach Ryan Day met with reporters following Saturday night’s 77-21 win over Toledo. He answered questions about quarterback CJ Stroud, the Buckeyes’ running game, some plays allowed on defense, and much, much more. The highlights of everything that was said can be found below.
- Unbelievable crowd today. The walk was great. The Skull Session was standing room only. To have 105,000 in the stands was unbelievable.
- CJ Stroud had a good week of practice. Great attitude. Put in work on his own as well. This was a tough week of practice. Stroud embraced it. There were a lot of reps. He played really well. He fed off of having Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Julian Fleming back. The balance of the offense helped a lot today too. There were a wide variety of very good throws tonight. They stayed on schedule and didn’t have any three-and-outs. “We still have a long way to go.’
- The offensive line played physically, but that’s how they practiced so it wasn’t a surprise.
- They will move on from this game tonight because Wisconsin is up next.
- This was the kind of game he wanted but it still had its flaws. Offensively they ran well and were physical and finished drives well. It was good to get two turnovers on defense.
- The UT quarterback made a lot of plays, and they need to look to see how they can contain a QB like that better than they did, but he’s proud of the scoreboard.
- – Josh Proctor, Tanner McCalister, and Mike Hall were all available. They just felt like this was the right thing to do. TreVeyon Henderson doesn’t have anything long term. They will regroup after tonight. They just wanted to be overly cautious with a bunch of guys. Same with JSN and Julian Fleming.
- In the 100th anniversary of Ohio Stadium they wanted to line up in the I-formation this year. Was great to see Mitch Rossi get that score. The tight ends were very good, and they all give the team something. Not having JSN available has allowed them to get good at some different formation.
- “We want to be creative the best we can down there [red zone].” Good job by the offensive staff to come up with so many options and plays.
- There were things exposed defensively that they have to clean up, but that’s part of growth. They have three games of evaluation of their defense now that they head to conference play.
- You saw the effectiveness of the play-action today when the running game is working.
- Took the ball with the coin toss because they wanted to start fast. He told the team they were going to do it. The guys were happy with that and wanted to get some juice going early on.
- Julian Fleming being back is great for the room and you saw the depth that they have. They are going to need all of these guys. Great to see Fleming get rewarded with a couple of touchdowns.
- Dallan Hayden has practiced well. He has taken care of the football. So has TC Caffey. Hayden ran hard and you can see his quickness and vision.
Ohio State Releases Football Coaching Salaries
Faster Kyion Grayes Ready To Prove His Worth
A-Deck: Predicting The Ohio State Class Of 2024 – Offense (Version 1.0)
Eyes On The Trail: Defensive Tackle From Florida Sets Visit
Transfer Portal Additions Should Bolster Buckeyes Secondary
Three Young Buckeyes With A Chance To Break Out This Spring
Kyle McCord Willing To Do Whatever It Takes To Get Job Done
Buckeyes Set To Defend Their Title