The Houston Texans have selected Ohio State quarterback CJ Stroud with the second pick in the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft.
Stroud is now the third-consecutive Ohio State starting quarterback to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. He joins Justin Fields (11th, 2021) and Dwayne Haskins (15th, 2019).
Stroud was a two-time Heisman finalist in his two years as a starter for the Buckeyes. He was also a two-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year and Big Ten Quarterback of the Year. Stroud was also named the Big Ten’s Freshman of the Year in 2021.
A 5-star prospect from Rancho Cucamonga High School in Rancho Cucamonga, California, Stroud was ranked the No. 2 pro-style passer in the 2020 recruiting class.
Stroud leaves Ohio State with 16 school records and three Big Ten records. He also became the first quarterback in Big Ten history with back-to-back seasons with 30 or more touchdowns passing.
The Buckeyes have now had four quarterbacks selected in the first round of the NFL Draft all-time.
Records and Accolades
- Set 16 Ohio State passing and total offense records and an additional three Big Ten records: season passing yards (3,193) and season TD passes (34) in Big Ten games only in 2021; career pass efficiency (182.39)
- Led the nation in pass efficiency rating in 2022 (177.7) and was second in
- Ranked second nationally in TD passes in 2022 (41) and third in 2021 (44)
- The first QB in Big Ten history to have back-to-back seasons with 30 or
more touchdown passes
- His school records include single game yards (573 in 2021 vs. Utah); single
game touchdown passes (6 two times vs. Michigan State and also vs. Utah); season completion percentage (71.9 in 2021); season (369.6 in 2021) and career passing yards per game (290.1); season and career 300-yard games (9 in 2021; and 15); season and career 400-yard passing games (5 in 2021); season and career passer efficiency rating (186.6 in 2021; and 182.39); consecutive pass completions (17 vs. Michigan State in 2021); and most games vs. Big Ten teams with five or more TD passes (seven)
- Total offense records include single game total offense (583 in 2021 vs.
Utah); average total offensive yards for a season (367.9) and career (294.9)
- Set five Rose Bowl game records vs. Utah: 573 passing yards; six
touchdown passes; 583 yards of total offense; TDs (6); and points (36)